Monday, January 24, 2011

Remember this?

This quilt top had been hanging around for a long time. I had tried quilting it 3 times only to end up with puckering. We had a Chris Kenna workshop at our club last year and I was talking with her about the problem I was having. She suggested grid-basting it with soluble thread. So I did and it worked a treat. I was able to free-motion the whole thing with no puckering at all. It is weird, though how it looks so rippled when only parts of it are quilted. It is not until the quilting is finished that it lies flat. It is now called Left Over Tabasco Sauce
 

Here is a a close-up of the quilting:

6 comments:

tizart said...

Great Job! Love the quilting!

Annieofbluegables said...

absolutely gorgeous!!!!

Lisa said...

Helen this is beautiful and the quilting looks great - must have taken forever.

Nellie's Needles said...

I looooove that quilt ... the colors, the patterning, the quilting, and its name.

Thanks for posting the tip about basting with the wash-away thread. Now, if I will just remember it when I need it to work for me.

Julie said...

Your machine quilting is divine! I think I have heard that tip before, although the soluble thread is not always easy to find or inexpensive, but well worth it now I've seen your results!

Francie said...

I LOVE this quilt! The "POW" factor is awesome!! Great work!!!! (It helps that orange is my favorite color.) Cool name, too...